Sunday, July 4, 2010

Acknowledgements

I want to express the deepest appreciation for my adviser, Professor Esther da Costa Meyer, whose enthusiasm for architecture is remarkable and contagious. The energy her lectures exuded in the very first course I took with her inspired me to study architecture and to travel to places like the Dessau Bauhaus and the Athenian Acropolis. Her thorough critiques and insights for this project helped me to find a specific direction and to have faith in my own abilities. I also want to thank Professor Christine Boyer who graciously accepted my request to advise me as a second reader. Her class on Cities of the 21st Century gave me an appreciation of the challenges that we as architects have a responsibility to address in our work.

Second, I want to thank Andy Chen ’09 who discussed and debated with me the ideas I tackle in this thesis, took the murky trek with me to visit the Cité de la Muette at Drancy, and proofread the paper when it was done. Without his intellectual and emotional support, this thesis would not have been possible.

I am grateful to the following people for their kind support with my research: Janet Parks at the Avery Library at Columbia University, Rebecca Friedman at Marquand Library, Nolwenn Rannou at the Cité Chaillot Archive in Paris, and Hannah Bennett and Shabeha Baig-Gyan at the Princeton School of Architecture Library.

I am thankful to the following people who have been influential in my education at Princeton, which the senior thesis is considered a culmination of:

Dean Stan Allen, whose introductory course converted me from artist to architect, and Joaquim Moreno, whose enthralling precept always went way beyond the allotted 50 minutes;

Spyros papapetros, who counseled me against binaries;

Jane Harrison, Stephen Cassel, Adam Yarinsky, and Ron Witte, whose studios provided an opportunity to test theoretical concepts in architectural design and practice;

Dr Caddeau, who refused to accept any excuses for doing poorly on academics;

Margo Handwerker and Britt Eversole, for organizing the Senior Thesis workshops; and

Professor Ed Eigen, whose thesis-prep course prepared us for our great adventures that were only possible here at Princeton.

Jeffrey Kipnis, for telling me my thesis was “wrong” and therefore inspiring Chapter 4 in which I propose alternatives.  Architecture, says Kipnis, has the ability to give a choate expression to emergent political stirrings that cannot find any other confirmation in reality.

Also, thank you to Molly Steenson and Enrique Ramirez, preceptors and friends in times of mortal danger. And finally, a very special thank you to my dear friend Angela Bardes for “keepin’ it real” and my fellow Architecture majors, without whose camaraderie and support Architecture would not be Princeton’s most awesome major.

No comments:

Post a Comment